Honors and Awards
Dr Schallhorn is the recipient of numerous military and academic awards and honors, including:
Dr Schallhorn (left) receiving the distinguished Lans Award at the AAO (New Orleans, 2004) along with fellow award recipients Drs Steven Slade (center) and Thomas Neuhann (right).
- Selection for Alpha Omega Alpha medical honors society
- Honors medical school graduate (ranked in the top 5% of his class)
- Designated “Fellow of the Year” at Doheny Eye Institute (1995/96) during the period of his 2-year fellowship training in Cornea and External Disease.
- The Joint Chiefs of Staff Award for Excellence in Military Medicine (1997) presented by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (General John M. Shalikashvili) and American patriot Zachary Fisher – the award included a $50,000 research grant.
- The Navy Legion of Merit, the highest non-combat medal in the military, awarded for performance of meritorious service to the United States for his work in refractive surgery
- Distinguished Lans Refractive Surgery Award (2004) by the International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS), a 3,500-member worldwide medical research organizationcomprised of leading eye care experts in vision correction surgery.
- Selected by his peers to be included as one of the Best Doctors in America 2005-2006.
- Recognized as “America’s Top Ophthalmologist” 2007 from the Consumers Research Council of America.
- Voted one of the “TOP 50 Opinion Leaders” for Outstanding Contribution and Leadership in the Fields of Cataract and Refractive Surgery in 2006.
- Selected to give the prestigious keynote address, the Binkhorst Lecture, at the 2007 annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- The David Paton Medal Lecture in 2008, bestowed by the Baylor College of Medicine