Medical / Clinical Biography
Dr. Brown graduated from The Ohio State University College of Optometry in 1986 and was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the United States Navy. He completed post-graduate courses in Ocular Therapeutics from the Illinois College of Optometry in 1989 and the Southern California College of Optometry in 1997.
Dr. Brown has held faculty positions at:
- University of Houston College of Optometry
- Pacific University College of Optometry
- Southern California College of Optometry
- Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI), NAS Pensacola, FL
Dr. Brown has participated as either Principal or Associate Investigator in more than 30 clinical trials involving refractive surgery. Four of them were Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) studies. One series of clinical trials is considered to be the definitive study of refractive surgery in military pilots, and was the basis for Department of Defense policy development regarding standards for Navy pilots and the clinical foundation for the NASA approval of LASIK in astronauts.
Publications and Presentations
Dr. Brown has authored 15 published articles including 7 peer-reviewed scientific publications. He frequently lectures and presents scientific posters at national and international meetings and conferences.
- American Academy of Optometry
- American Optometric Association
- Optometric Council on Refractive Technology
- Armed Forces Optometric Society